Monday, May 25, 2020

The Arthur M. Anderson Passes Riverside Park

So on Saturday, I saw that the Arthur M. Anderson was coming down.  It was hot and humid on Saturday and I didn't really feel like dealing with people, so I was waffling about whether or not I wanted to go catch her.  After some thought, I decided that I would catch her at Riverside Park.  I figured that there wouldn't be as many people there.
 If you've followed my blog for any length of time or you have at least a passing interest in Great Lakes freighters, you know that the Arthur Anderson was the last ship to be in contact with Edmund Fitzgerald. 
 But that is more of a story about the crew that was on her at the time rather than the ship itself.  And no matter what happens to the Anderson, that story will always be there.
 Anyway, the Anderson was coming down from Calcite with a load of stone.  She was heading to the Rouge River and I think that she would be heading to the dock that is near the Jefferson Avenue Bridge.  I was almost tempted to head over there to get some pictures of her entering the River but I decided against it.
 The Anderson passes the Renaissance Center.  A couple weeks ago, the Governor opened up the waters to motor boats again and it shows.
 The Anderson approaches the Ambassador Bridge.
 I do like the shots I get from this park.  For the most part, the view doesn't spoil the view of the ship.
 You can see Belle Isle in the background.
 Another clear shot.
 She passes some buildings in Windsor.
 She passes under the Ambassador Bridge.
 This is one of my favorite views from Riverside Park.  Normally the Westcott would be in the view but I think since she is just going to Detroit, that might not have been necessary.
 Another view with the Bridge in it.
 She continues down the river.
 I kind of like this shot with the Stars and Stripes flapping in the breeze.
About the best stern shot  I could get from here.

No comments: