Saturday, August 28, 2021

And a Bonus Ship

 I was about ready to pack it in when the Speer passed but then I checked AIS and I saw that the next ship wasn't too far away.

The Algoma Strongfield is one of the straight deckers that Algoma Central uses.  These are most used for the grain trade.
A straight decker is a ship without the boom.  I believe they are specially loaded and unloaded.
If they carry other cargo, they can go to ports with hoppers but I think those are becoming few and far between.
I'm not sure where she was coming from.  I would guess that it was either Quebec City or Montreal.  Her last listed port was Port Colborne but that's the part of the Welland Canal that feeds into Lake Erie.
So I know she wasn't coming from there.
Anyway it was nice to see her.
But she's looking a little worse for wear.
One more shot with my normal camera.
And then I switched to my drone.  I didn't fly it out as far this time.  It seemed like she was coming on me faster.
I kind of like this shot.
The near beam shot.
The more or less beam shot.
She continues out to Lake Huron.
And one more shot.

I wanted to catch the Alpena but I realized it would be another couple hours before she would be passing.   It would almost be dark by then.  I may try to catch her tomorrow as she is docking in Detroit.



No comments: