Friday, August 27, 2021

Whereupon We Catch Five 757s

 So I decided to head over to the airport last night.  It was a pretty nice for it but it was a little on the hot and muggy side.  I knew that I was going to catch a couple 757s but I didn't think I would catch so many.  Anyway, pictures.

First up was an A319 coming in from Mexico City.  One of the things I like about the Airbus is that if you know how to fly one of them, you can pretty much fly anyone of them.  If I remember correctly, Airbus made sure the make the cockpits of each them look similar which cuts down on training costs.
A CRJ-200 coming from Alpena.  I read an article a couple days ago that said the days of the regional jet are numbered.  I suspect that the runs to smaller airports is not profitable or as profitable.
So it was the first of many 757s.
Interestingly enough, Boeing designed the 757 and 767 at roughly the same time.  There are many features that are common on both aircraft.  Because of that, you can transition from one to the other with little training.  It's really a shame that Boeing killed the 757 because they don't really have a competitor to Airbus in the longer range narrow body market (like Iceland).  I heard they were in the process of designing a 797 which will be similar to the 757.  I guess we'll see.  If recent Boeing projects are an indicator, it might be a while.
Anyway, this particular 757 was coming in from Sin City.  Interesting fact, you can play slot machines in the Las Vegas airport.
A CRJ-200 coming in from Lansing.  Apparently this is Delta's shortest route.  If there still was the DTW to Toledo route, that would be shorter by a few miles.
Another CRJ-200 but this one was coming in from Dayton.
A CRJ-900 coming in from Houston.  I have to believe this would be Delta's longest route served by a regional jet.
And it was another 757.
In this case the stretch 757-300.
It was arriving from San Francisco.
A CRJ-700 coming in from Midway Airport in Chicago.
And an A319 coming in from Dallas.
Then there was this A321 from San Diego.  I like to think of the A321 as the competition to the 757 but I think the 757 may be a little bigger.
A CRJ-200 from Appleton, Wisconsin.  Appleton, Wisconsin is where one of the Iwo Jima flag raisers came from.
And it was another 757.
In this case a 757-200.
It was coming in from Atlanta.
It was followed by another 757.
But a 757-300.
That was coming in from Los Angeles.
This was an A320.  I liked the clouds in the background.
It was coming in from Milwaukee.  There is a really good coffee place there.
And then I saw the three lights.
Those lights meant the last of the DC-9 family.  In this case a 717.  If McDonnell-Douglas had not merged with Boeing, this plane would have been called the MD-95.  It was coming in from O'Hare.
A CRJ-900 that was coming from Houston.
And another 717.
This particular one was coming in from Lambert Field.
Another favorite of mine.
If Bombardier had not been bought by Airbus, this would have been the BCS1.  Instead it is an A220.
A CRJ-200 coming in from Madison, Wisconsin.  Madison is the home of the Wisconsin Badgers.
A CRJ-700 coming in from Green Bay.  There is nothing of note in Green Bay.
And my last 757 of the night.
This was another 757-300.
It was arriving from the birthplace of Jimi Hendrix, Seattle.
I wish this were an MD-11.
But a 767 is pretty cool.
This was Flight 505 from Memphis.
Flight 505 was the name of a Rolling Stones song.
And we end the night with a CRJ-700 from Des Moines, Iowa.


No comments: