Saturday, August 21, 2021

The Herbert C. Jackson on the Saginaw River

 First I headed to Detroit in order to catch the John D. Leitch but I didn't make it in time and I got to wave to her stern.  And then I saw that the Herbert C. Jackson was heading to Bay City, so I decided to head up there.

On the way to Bay City, I stopped at the Clarkston exit to get my mom her Starbucks.  As I was passing the Starbucks, I saw a pastie place there, it was called Uncle Peter's Pasties and it was pretty good.  The filling was pretty good and the crust was nice and flaky.  Next time I am up that way, I'll have to get it again.

As I approached Bay City, I was going to take River Road to get into Bay City.  It's a good thing that I did, because I saw the ship coming at me.
I was going to try to find a place near the stone dock in Bay City where I could launch my drone.  Fortunately, I didn't have to.  As it was, I was hoping that she would be doing a split load for Zilwaukee.
And it turns out that she was.  
She was delivering stone to both places and it looks like she has been delivering quite a bit of stone as her hull is coated with the dust.
So of course, I had to launch my drone.  Even though James Clements airport is nearby, I can fly here because it is uncontrolled airspace.
Anyway, I like catch ships here.  The river looks really nice hre.
The light was just about perfect.
She passed by.  The water was smooth enough that I was able to get somewhat of a reflection.
The beam shot.
She continues down the rest of the river.
I thought the stone dock she might be going to was the one at the top of this picture but there is another one on the other side of the Zilwaukee Bridge.
That is the stone dock she was heading to and unfortunately, there isn't really a spot there where I could get a picture of her.
She was kicking up a bit of mud.
At least it was a nice day.
And one more shot before moving on.


No comments: