Monday, August 16, 2021

Welcoming a New Ship Under an Old Name

 Every so often I get to welcome a new ship to my blog.  It's not very often when that ship has the same name as an old ship.

The former Captain Henry Jackman was sent to the scrap heap in 2019 after being laid up in 2018.
This version of the Captain Henry Jackman was built at the Jingjiang Shipyards in China.
She is the last Equinox class carrier being built for the Algoma Central Corporation.
She arrived on the Great Lakes in June of 2021 and this was the first time I could catch her.
She is 740 feet long and 78 feet wide.  She can carry almost 28,000 tons of cargo.
She is a straight decker, which means she will mostly be used for the grain trade.
It's amazing that she looks pretty rough after only a couple of months of service on the lakes but as I've said before, the Canadian boats go through more locks and have more chances to get wharf scrapes.
I still think she's a pretty nice looking boat though.
She was heading up to Thunder Bay.
As I type this, she is heading to Quebec City with a load of grain.



No comments: