Wednesday, August 4, 2021

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Monroe

 After the ships, I decided to take my mom out barn hunting.  Usually, we head north but this time I decided to head south.  At some point, I ended up on M-50.

I've seen signs for this memorial on I-75 for a while but I never stopped at it.  When I saw it as I passed on M-50, I figured that I had to stop.  First up was this UH-1 Huey.  If you wanted to pick an image that represented the Vietnam War, it would be this helicopter.  While the Korean War introduced the helicopter to warfare, the Vietnam War made it a fixture.   Over 7,000 Hueys were deployed in Vietnam.  Nearly half of them were destroyed.  Roughly 2,000 Huey crewmembers were killed during the Vietnam War.
The Huey Cobra was developed from the Huey helicopter.  It was decided that a gunship was needed.
I will have to say that this was a pretty cool looking helicopter.
It's amazing how narrow it was.
Another picture of the Huey.

I didn't get a picture of the memorial itself but it was built in 1987.  The helicopters were added later.  It is a pretty neat little place.


No comments: