Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Catching the Lee A. Tregurtha

I ended up staying up late Saturday night to finish "War and Remembrance", as a result, I didn't feel like doing much Sunday.  Still, that didn't stop me from taking a look at Marine Traffic and see what was cooking as far as shipping was concerned.  When I saw what was coming down the river, I decided to go out and take some pictures.
 First up was the Lee A. Tregurtha.  She missed being the oldest self powered freighter on the lakes by a couple of months, as she was built in the summer of 1942 as a tanker.
 After the war, demand for cargos on the Great Lakes was high, so she was converted to the ship that we now know and love.
 Given that she is fairly well taken care of, I suspect we will be seeing her for a while.
 I think she was on her way down to Dearborn with a load of iron ore but I'm not sure.
 At any rate, based on where the water line was compared to her markings, I would say that she was fairly well loaded.  The water levels on the lakes are higher right now and the shipping companies probably love that because they load their ships more.
 She is definitely pretty low to the water.
And she continues on her way.

No comments: