Tuesday, April 9, 2019

The Alpena Gets Moving

The Alpena is usually one of the first ships to get moving.  This year, she was one of the last but then again, she was out pretty late in the season for last season.
 She was in layup in Cleveland.  I had every intention to go catch her there because she is usually in a fairly good spot for pictures.  It seemed like the weather never wanted to cooperate though.
 When I checked Marine Traffic and saw that she was making her way up from Cleveland, I had to go out to catch her.
 There were many shots that I couldn't get because the heat haze was pretty bad and it made the pictures look like paintings.  AS she got closer, I was able to get pictures of her.  And I'll have to say, she looks like one of the better kept up ships on the Lakes.
 She does not look like her 77 years.  Although, she is showing a few rust spots but I think that is normal on a ship.
 It was a beautiful day on Sunday.
 I loved the way the clouds look like they are leading to her.
 She continues on her way.
 I then decided to head to St Clair to catch her again.  She was on her way to Alpena to pick up a load of cement.  And I have since found out that she would continue to Green Bay to deliver that cement.
 Still, it was nice to catch her.
 I love the way the smoke is puffing out of her stack.
 She passes by the St. Clair boardwalk which was repaired last year and it was pretty nice.
 aThe almost beam shot.
 And the beam shot.
 And she continues on her way.
An almost stern shot.  Unfortunately, this was about as far out as I could catch her.

No comments: