Saturday, March 14, 2015

Bellevue, Ohio

If Thursday was a day for boats, yesterday was a day for trains.  I decided to take another route from Cleveland.  This one would take me through Bellevue, Fostoria and Deshler.  I've been to Fostoria but I've heard that Bellevue and Deshler were pretty good railfanning spots.
 Bellevue is almost due south of Sandusky, Ohio.  It was the home of Henry Morrison Flagler when he partnered up with John D. Rockefeller when he partnered up to form Standard Oil.  He later went on to form the Florida Overseas Railroad.  At the beginning of the 20th Century, Bellevue served as a major hub for the Nickel Plate Railroad and now serves as a major spot for the Norfolk Southern Railroad.  As a result, it is apparently a pretty good spot for railfanning.
 The former land of Henry Flagler serves as the spot of the Mad River and Nickel Plate Railroad Museum.  This is a former Norfolk and Western Engine.  Sadly, the museum doesn't open until spring time.  But there were a few trains that I could look at.
 A Baltimore and Ohio caboose.
 I was going to try to see if I could see the yard itself but I wasn't going to take a ton of time to do so.
 I did find the small rail park they have here.  It is between two lines and gives some pretty good sightlines for both of them.  As I was heading there, this train was approaching.
 It was pretty cool.
 A closer shot of the train.
 As it leaves.
 As I was heading out of town, I passed thisNorfolk Southern engine.  It was in a spot where I could get a decent shot.
 I didn't notice this engine until I stopped, but I thought it was pretty cool.  This is an EMD F7 Engine and is one of the earlier diesel engines.  They were produced from 1949 to 1953 with almost 4,000 units being produced.
 It almost looks like a face.
I kind of liked the contrast between the new engine and the old engine.

No comments: