Sunday, March 22, 2015

Wandering to Cleveland...Stopping in Toledo

I decided to head over to Cleveland yesterday because I heard that the Alpena would be leaving there at some point in the day.  After a couple months of just seeing ships in layup, I was happy to get the chance to get a ship doing ship things.  I was even happier to catch a ship coming out of Cleveland because that's a pretty nice boatwatching spot.
 Prior to continuing on to Cleveland, I had to make a stop in Toledo.  I kind of like the pictures that I can get from the museum there.  This is the propeller from one of the ships, but I don't remember which one.  It's kind of amazing to stand next to one of these because it gives you an idea of the scale of ships.
 And of course, I couldn't pass on the opportunity to take pictures of the Schoonmaker.  I can't wait until I get the opportunity to go on her again.
 A more full view of the ship.  You can almost see the stack in the background.  One of these days, I'm going to have to figure out a spot on the other side of the river to get a shot from there.
 I do like the lower end of my small lens but I don't like the distortions that it causes.
 Looking up at the pilothouse.
 A shot of the Craig Bridge and the I-280 Bridge.  I kind of wanted a shot of the ship in it but I'm not sure I like this one that much.
 Another angle of the Schoonmaker.
 A shot of the Toledo skyline.  I think I would have been happier without the power lines in the shot.
 A shot of one of the Schoonmaker's lifeboats.
 And her stack.
Funny thing, I never noticed this map of the Great Lakes on the grounds.  I kind of like it because it reminds me of a view I'd see from space or something.

No comments: