Thursday, April 1, 2021

At Least it Wasn't Snowing

 So on Sunday morning I saw that I had a chance to catch this ship.  The weather wasn't the best though so I wasn't sure I wanted to get out in it.  After some degree of waffling with myself, I decided to go out and catch her.

It was raining pretty hard as I left my apartment but it actually got better as I got over to Dearborn.  It was still raining when I got there but not too bad.
Fortunately, I didn't waffle too much about coming here because I would have missed her.  I think I had about 10 minutes waiting as she popped around the bend.  In fact when I got there, the Fort Street bridge was still up.
The Herbert C. Jackson started the season doing shuttle runs on the Cuyahoga River.  I was seriously thinking about heading over there to catch her. 
Before coming here, she headed over to Ashtabula where I presume that she picked up taconite.
I followed her as she came up and I saw that she would be appearing on the river after it turned light.  It probably would have been light sooner if it weren't raining as hard.
Interestingly enough, the Rouge River is another river that caught fire in the 1960's.  I don't think it was as spectacular as the Rouge River and thus it didn't get the attention that the Cuyahoga fire got.
When I was in college, I remember reading a flyer that the Rouge River was so polluted it couldn't be recognized as a river.
Thirty years of cleaning up the river after the passage of the Clean Water Act has certainly helped.  I've see eagles flying over.  I've also see turtles.  I don't think either would hang around in polluted waters.
I think it is pretty cool that we have made that kind of progress.  Humans can make due without many things but it is awfully hard to survive without water.
Anyway, she was delivering taconite to the steel mill.
I'll have to admit that makes for some pretty cool pictures.
She approaches the Dix Avenue Bridge.
A few minutes later she pops out on the other side.
The man at the side is calling out the distance to the bridge as she passes through.
Her plimsoll lines.
They use this boat to scan around some of the docks she will pull into.
Her stack.
The Stars and Stripes flying proudly in the breeze.  By this time the rain had stopped.
She starts to make the turn for the steel mill.
I'll have to say this is one of the coolest pictures on the Lakes.
One of these days, I would like to catch a ship leaving because I could get a bow shot with the plant in the background.
A stern shot.
One more shot before leaving.


No comments: