Sunday, April 11, 2021

Briefly Catching the Defiance/Ashtabula

 I had last Friday (April 2) off because it was good Friday.  It turns out that it was a pretty good day for ships too.  First I headed over to Del Ray Park to catch the Alpena because she was going to be docking at the cement plant next door.  While I was waiting for her, I saw a ship coming up.

Well it wasn't a ship, it was a tug/barge.  
It was the tug Defiance with her barge the Ashtabula making her way up.  I think she was coming from Sandusky and had a load of stone.
She was heading towards Zug Island with that load of stone.
She started to make the turn for the river.  This was about as close as she got.  And that is just as well because I think she is one of the uglier vessels on the Great Lakes.  But then again, ships aren't built for beauty, they are built for function and she is one of the busier on the Lakes, so she must do her job well.


No comments: