Friday, April 23, 2021

Catching the Algoma Intrepid

 The next ship is one that hasn't appeared on this blog before but will like re-appear a few times.

The Algoma Intrepid is the ninth Equinox class to be built for Algoma Central.  She is the second of the class that was built in Croatia rather than China.  The first was the Algoma Innovator which has a similar configuration.
She made her first appearance on the Great Lakes in 2020 when she docked in Montreal.
I think she was carrying a load of stone when she did this but I'm not sure.
Anyway, it wasn't until now that I was able to catch her.  It seems like most of the other times were during the week or at night.
They use this configuration because it makes her more flexible in the ports that she can go to.
There are some ports where only a forward mounted boom like this can be used.  It is difficult for ships to back into those ports.
Anyway, it makes for an unusual look but you can imagine it's a forward mounted pilothouse and a classic laker.
One more shot from my normal camera.
Then I switched to my drone.  I have to work on exposure sometimes.
It's kind of cool seeing these ships from the air.
A good full on shot of her.
A beam shot.
She passes by.
I think she was heading to Buffalo.
And I think she was heading from Goderich.
So that likely means a load of salt.


No comments: