Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Saying Good Bye to an Old Friend

So on last Saturday I found out that the Mississagi was heading up to Sarnia for what could possibly be her last voyage.  Since I'm not a fan of catching ships on their scrap tows, I decided to head up that way to get some pictures of her.  I was hoping to use my drone but the winds weren't cooperating with me.

The Mississagi was built at the Great Lakes Engineering Works in River Rouge, Michigan as the George A. Sloan. 
In 1967, she was converted to a self unloader.
In 1985, she was repowered.
In 2001, she was bought by her current owners and given her current name.
She's been around for as long as I've been doing this blog and she's been a fairly regular subject on this blog.
She's even been the source of a couple of my favorite pictures because she's such a nice looking ship.
Even though they are inanimate objects, you get attached to ships.  Especially the classic lakers like this one.
Pretty soon, she will be one classic laker on the lakes.
Although, I've heard that they might keep in her in reserve but judging by the covers on her windows, I doubt it.
But who knows, she might be back.
She continues on to Sarnia.
Then I decided to head over to the Maritime Center.  I still wanted to try to use my drone but I think the winds picked up between Marysville and here.  
When I launched my drone, the wind started to move it backwards, so I figured trying to get pictures of the ship would be a bad idea.
The winds made for some cool pictures later though.
I just had to use this opportunity to get more pictures of her.
She wasn't too far from her resting place.
She starts to move past one of the tankers parked in Sarnia.
I kind of like this background.
A somewhat clear background.
A beam shot of her.
One more shot.  She was almost heading into her slip at this point.  Again, it's a shame to see the classics go but I guess ships are like anything else.


No comments: