Sunday, April 11, 2021

Catching up with the Alpena

 So this is the reason why I headed down to Del Ray Park.

You generally get a nice view of Detroit but I think it was a little warm, so I had a little heat haze.  It wasn't too bad though.  
The Alpena was heading down from Alpena and I think to deliver cement to the cement plant next to Del Ray.
Del Ray is kind of a cool spot when that happens because you can see the ship maneuver into dock at the plant.
I brought my drone with me and the winds were calm, so I had a good chance of getting some drone shots.
But before I did that, some shots with my normal camera.
It was a pretty sunny day and as it turned out, a fairly busy day on the river.
She goes to the other side of the river.
And starts to make her turn.
She's more into her turn.
I might have some of these pictures out of order.  I think I might need to check the time on my camera because these are little later than the drone shots.
She's getting a little closer.
And I switched over to my drone.  I never realized how much you can see from the air.  You can see her wake as she makes the turn.
I could also get different angles so that I wasn't shooting into the sun.
You can see part of beautiful Zug Island in this picture.
You can see the water disturbance from her bow thrusters in this one.  I think they like to get a certain point and turn off the engines to use the bow thrusters.
More of Zug Island.
She starts to make her way towards the dock.
A little more of Zug Island.
You can kind of see the US side of the bridge in this picture.  I'm not sure how that's going to affect shipping in this area, but I suppose we will find out.  There is a painting of a US flag and the the Spirit of Detroit statue.
She gets a little closer to the dock.
And they start to pull her in.
Almost docked.
I pulled the drone out for a more sweeping view of the plant.

And I think this was a drone shot as well.  She only did a partial load to Detroit.  After this, she was heading down to Toledo.  I should have followed there but I didn't.

One more as she is finished docking.


No comments: