Thursday, June 24, 2021

Stumbling Across a Tug/Barge

 So on Saturday, I decided to head north.  As I was heading over the Zilwaukee Bridge, I looked down at the river and saw something moving.  So I got off at the next exit in an attempt to catch her.

I got off at the M-84 exit and doubled back to River Road and then I caught up to her.
Turns out that the Olive Moore and her barge, the Menominee was leaving the Wirt Stone Dock in Zilwaukee.
I would imagine that means that they would have been delivering stone there.
I found a pretty decent spot to catch her.  It was just before a bridge and a boat launch park and just after James Clements airport.
She was making her way down the river pretty slowly because it is pretty windy here.
At least I got a bow shot.
And she makes her turn.
One more shot with my regular camera.
Before using my drone, I checked my "B4UFLY" app from the FAA.  It tells areas where you are good to fly and to my surprise I was okay to fly here.  Apparently it is considered as uncontrolled airspace because James Clements airport does not have a control tower.
And I was happy with that because this was a really cool spot to get a picture with my drone.  I love the bend in the river here.
Almost reminds me of the Cuyahoga River.  I know that I can't get a drone shot from the Cuyahoga because that is controlled airspace.
The almost beam shot.
I ended up taking my drone up higher.  I thought it would be cool to see from here.
She continues down the river.  I think you can even see the action from her bow thrusters.
She moves a little further.
I ended up going to the Cass Street boat launch.  This used to be where there was a bridge that was abandoned in the 1950's.
It's a pretty good spot to catch a ship.
Or a tug/barge in this case.
Again, she was moving fairly slowly.
I just wish the river were a little smoother.
One more shot with my normal camera.
I switched to my drone here.  I like the reflection of the bow in the picture.
I'll have to say that she is pretty nice looking.
She gets a little closer.
Almost a beam shot.
The beam shot.
She continues down the river.
You can kind of see Bay City from here.


No comments: