Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bay City Memories - Midland Street

Because of the Saginaw River, Bay City is divided into the West Side and the East Side. A few months ago, I did some of the images from Bay City's east side. Today, I decided to do some images on the West Side...in particular on Midland Street.

In 1863, Henry Sage founded the village of Wenona. It would later be known as West Bay City. In 1905, West Bay City would merge with Bay City to become a combined city although in many cases they don't seem combined.

Many of the shots on here will be in black and white to convey a feeling of nostalgia.
Growing up on the west side, I spent alot of time on Midland Street as there used to be a bunch of stores that I liked to visit. This sign is fairly new but it looks kind of cool.Probably one of the more prominent features on Midland Street is the Sage Library which was named after the gentleman that both founded the area and donated the money for the library.
In 1881, Henry Sage donated the land and $10,000 to start the Sage Libary. It was opened in 1884. This is a close up of a statue that is in the front of the building.
This is known as the Leda Fountain. I really like the looks of it.
So I decided to shot in color for this shot. I think I like the look of the droplets.
At one point, the city was thinking about closing the library. Fortunately, they didn't.
A statue dedicated to the men of Bay County that fought in World War I.
From the side and looking up.
Looking down at the business district of Midland Street. When I was growing up, this was known as Uptown. The other side of town was known as Downtown. It seemed like there were more shops and stuff when I was growing up though. Now it is mostly bars and night clubs.
A typewrite repair business.
This used to be a pharmacy. Now it is a bar. They still kept the sign though.
This used to be known as People's National Bank. This is where I had my first savings account. It had a pretty cool looking booklet to keep track of deposits and withdrawls. A few years later, it moved down a couple blocks when it was bought by First of America (who was later bought by National City and then PNC Bank...almost like some of my railroad posts).
A hint that it was once a bank. I wonder if they still have the counters on the inside...probably not.
As I said, I would do some images in color. This one because I liked the colors of the buildings.
This is bascially a block of bars.
This is known as Unclaimed Freight and it is run by Ace Hardware. It is one of the few businesses that is still basically unchanged.
Lucky's Bar used to be known as Lucky's Records. Unfortunately, I don't remember the first cassette I bought there but I did buy a few there. It went out of business a few years after I went to college.
Sutherland Bakery was pretty good when I was growing up. I went in there today and it wasn't too bad but doesnt' seem as good as when I was growing up. Sometimes it is true that you can't go back.
Another angle of Lucky's Bar.
Some of the other buildings on that block. More on them later.
This is O'Hares. This is where I had my first legal drink. They used to have an upside down Christmas Tree on the roof. It looked like they were out of business but maybe coming back?
This used to be a movie theater. I didn't see too many movies here but I did see the first Star Wars here. My dad took me to see it and neither of us knew what to expect. Little did I realize that I would be blown away by this movie.
Duso's Bar. We didn't go here as much as O'Hares but I'm sure they contributed to my 21st Birthday.
This building used to be Billings which was a five and dime store. They used to have some pretty cool toys and stuff. I don't remember when they went out of business though. Now it is a gift shop.
Opposite of Billings was Bishop Young which used to be a furniture store.
Another angle of Billings.
Some of the detail on one of the buildings.
Another look down Midland Street.
I noticed this wall mural. Interesting stuff.
Another part of that. I hope you enjoyed that slight trip down Memory Lane.

1 comment:

Helen said...

My husband and I lived in our first apartment on Midland Street. We couldn't remember the name of the five and dime that we went to . I googled it, and there it was: Billings. Your site is way too cool! Thank you!