Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Seeing the Algoma Strongfield

 The next ship wasn't too far behind the Gott, so I stuck around Belle Isle to get it.

it was the Algoma Strongfield.  I don't remember where she was coming from but she was heading up to Thunder Bay.
Thunder Bay is where much of the Candian grain from the Prairie States is gathered.  It is then shipped to other points in the Lower Lakes where it is in turned shipped overseas.
This year seems to have been banner year for Canadian grain boats.  It seems like every time I've gone out shipwatching, that is what I've see the most of.

I'm not sure if they are exporting more grain or are just having one heck of a season.

Anyway, I'll have to say there is something nice about a ship without the bulky self unloading equipment.
So then I switched the drone.  I was trying to see how far out I could go again.  I want to try to get more pictures where ship is almost passing under my drone.  I know that I can't get a shot of one passing underneath as I'm not supposed to fly over moving vessels.
Anyway, it was a pretty nice morning and the sun was just about right.
One thing I like about the drone shots is that you can see the different types of wakes the ships produce.  Especially from this angle.
I kind of like the skyline in the back ground.
And she starts to pass underneath.  You can see that a couple of the holds haven't been covered.
And she starts to pass by.
These are angles I'm more accustomed to.
Almost the beam shot.
And the beam shot.
And she passes by.
 In roughly 48 hours from this picture, she will be at her destination and then she can start the cycle all over again.

No comments: