Thursday, August 20, 2020

Catching Up With the Manitowoc

 It wasn't too long before the first ship appeared.

She was at point past Belle Isle where I could get a picture of her and it was the Manitowoc.
The Manitowoc was heading down from Port Inland, Michigan which is about 80 miles to the west of St. Ignace.  Presumably while she was there, she would have picked up a load of stone.  There are several stone docks in Michigan.
She passes the Renaissance Building.
She is heading to Erie, Pennsylvania where she will deliver that rock.  Erie is famous for being where the USS Niagara was built.  It is also home to the refurbished/replica Niagara.  I think it was also the entry port for the Erie canal.
Erie is about 500 nautical miles from Port Inland.  This means it will take the Manitowoc approximately 42 hours to go from there to Erie.
She poses in front of the Renaissance Building.  I don't think I've seen boats this close to the Detroit shore before.  It made for a nice picture anyway.
I don't think I could have asked for better lighting.
She is making the turn for the Ambassador Bridge from here.
She gets closer to the Windsor shore line.
You can see Belle Isle in the background.
Like  I said, perfect light.
I like the pictures from here because I have relatively clean backgrounds.
Some of Windsor's buildings in the background.
And then I got my drone out.  It was pretty windy, so I didn't get out as far as I wanted.  I wasn't sure about battery levels.
I think I got some decent pictures though.
The Wescott pulling away from her.
A little bit of smoke as she kicks in the engines to go faster.  For some reason, these seem like dirty boats.
You can see the Wescott heading towards downtown.  I think she was going to meet the next ship in a different spot.
Looking down on the deck.  I will have to admit, the drone gives me different things to look at.  I never realized how the decks on these ships looked.
The almost beam shot.  Per the rules, I can't get over her though.
She passes by.
Heading downriver.
Looking downriver.  I never realized how far downriver you could see.
And the really amazing part, is how clean the Detroit River looks.

One more shot.


No comments: