Thursday, July 15, 2021

Seeing the Alder One More Time

 So on Monday I found out that the Alder was leaving the Great Lakes and that she would be passing Detroit on the way out.  After work, I decided to head down to Del Ray to catch her.

If I took five more minutes, I would not have caught her.  There is quite a bit of construction going on.
After serving on the Great Lakes for many years, she is heading to Baltimore where she will undergo maintenance and refitting.  After that is complete, she will be heading to San Francisco.
I forget the name of the cutter that is coming to the Great Lakes to replace her but it is one that served on the salt water for a while.
Coming to fresh water will be good for that ship.
I've only seen her a couple of times.  Once up in Duluth and once in Toledo but she's a pretty neat looking ship.
She passes the supports for the Gordie Howe Bridge.
So to the crew of the Alder, I wish farewell and following seas.
I can't wait to catch her replacement though.


No comments: