Thursday, March 24, 2011

Another Milestone...

Well it seems that I hit another milestone on here. Sometime last week, I had my 50,000 visitor since I started to track visitors to my blog. Thank you to all you folks that have been coming here, I hope that you keep coming here. Anyways, I figured I would do something different....Maybe an interview of sorts.

Q: What posessed you to start doing this blog?
Well, sometime ago I got myself a Panasonic FZ-7 which is one of those cameras that lives between a normal point and shoot digital camera and an SLR. I started to play around with the manual functions and realized that I missed using my mom's old Pentax K-1000. So I did some investigation and it came down to a Canon or Nikon. I decided I wanted one of the mid-range SLR's and the Canons were cheaper so I decided on a Canon 40D. That camera wasn't bad but there were some things I didn't like about it so I upgraded to a Canon 50D which I love (although that still has issues with dust but not as bad). I was posting my pictures on my website but I saw a couple photography blogs and I liked that functionality better plus I had some experience with a blog I used to run, so here I am.

Q: What was your other blog?
It was basically a political ranting blog which was fun but I got tired of it. At some point, I decided that I wanted to post more or less original material so here I am.

Q: What's your favorite subject to photograph?
It's a pretty close contest. I love it when I go up to my mom's and I can take pictures of the eagles in the wild but I also love going to the Detroit Zoo to take pictures of the wolverines there. One day, I would love to find a wolverine in the wild. Of the buildings, that's a tough one because there are so many choices in the area. Probably the neatest is the Guardian Building in Downtown Detroit but I think my favorite is the Law School at the University of Michigan.

What is your favorite picture on here?
Boy, that's a tough one. But I think of my recent pictures it would have to be this one.

I don't know what it is about this one but I like it.

Have you ever felt like doing a posting of some of your woofers?
Actually, yes I have. Sometimes the conditions for photography aren't the greatest. The lighting is off or I'm off and my pictures don't turn out well.

So what is your least favorite picture?
If I had to pick, it would probably be this one because it had such potential but the lighting was working against me. It's pictures like this that remind me that while I've improved on my photography there is still much to learn.


So why very few shots of the ruins of Detroit?
I think that Detroit has so much to offer in the way of intact and relatively intact buildings that I don't need to take pictures of the ruined buildings. Plus, there are enough other photographers that do it, so I don't feel that I have to. I will admit, so of those buildings are interesting but I prefer to let others take those pictures and I will stick to other images of Detroit.

So what are your plans for the future?
Well, towards the end of April, my mom and I are going to head to Fredricksburg, Spotsylvania and possibly Washington D.C. Towards the end of May, I will be taking the California Zephyr, the part of the Coast Starlight I didn't take last year and then the Southwest Chief. During that trip I will spend a couple days in Denver, a little time in San Francisco and L.A. proper. I had a blast when I took the train last year, so I imagine I will have a blast again this year. I am going to try to follow Woodward up to Pontiac and then continue on what was called the Saginaw Trail. I'm not sure what else but one of these years I would like to trace around the Lower Peninsula.

What are your favorite things about doing this blog?
When I take a picture of a building or a new town, I try to look up the history behind those and I end up learning quite a bit more about my State. It's also fun when I go to new places within Michigan because this state has so much to offer.

Feel free to ask questions in the comments section. And again, thank you for coming here it is what makes doing this blog worth it.

2 comments:

BlueDragon said...

The new formatting is great! Congratulations on getting your 50,000th visitor.

Mikoyan said...

I'm not entirely sold on the new formatting.