Thursday, March 31, 2011

Betsy Barbour Dormitory

As I said in my last post, I wanted to finish my tour of the University of Michigan Albert Kahn Buildings. I only had four more buildings to go on the list. Unfortunately, 3 of those 4 buildings are dormitories and I feel uncomfortable about taking pictures of those so they probably aren't my greatest shots.

My first building was the Betsy Barbour Dormitory. It is almost directly across the street from Angell Hall.

Construction on the building began in 1911 and was completed in 1920.

The Dormitory is named after Betsy Barbour who was the mother of Levi Barbour who was a regent for the University. He also donated $100,000 and some parcels of land to be used towards the construction of the building. He was appalled at the condition of the housing on the University at the time.

It was and still is an all female dorm.

No comments: