Sunday, March 27, 2011

Heading To Chicago

It was kind of a spur of the moment thing but I decided to head to Chicago yesterday. Well the decision wasn't yesterday but Friday night but still, it was more or less a spur of the moment thing. Got on the Amtrak site and got myself a ticket and when I think about all the costs associated with taking my car, it ended up being about a wash but taking the train is much more relaxing so it won out. This are my pics from on the way over and I apologize in advance as the windows weren't the cleanest, so the splotches are from that.

The Wolverine as it pulls into Ann Arbor station. I think the Wolverine was a train line that was operated by the New York Central when it was still around. It went from Detroit to Chicago. When Amtrak took over, they kept many of the classic train lines. I want to say this is one of Amtrak's more profitable lines and ridership has gone up over the years.

The train generally has the same configuration, but I think I've seen it with the larger superliner cars from time to time. It has 3 runs each way. I only have two complaints about it. One, I wish that the Amtrak could have used what is now the Gandydancer and two, I wish they would open the depot in Ypsilanti (I've heard rumors this may happen though).

Just outside of the Jackson Airport. It is a T-33 which is the training version of the Shooting Star.

One of the buildings at Albion College.

Some farm between Albion and Battle Creek. One of the nice things about the train is that it goes through some pretty rural areas and this affords some photo ops.

Passing through Battle Creek. This is in front of the Kellogg's plant and it is Tony the Tiger and I'm not sure what the kid's name is.

One of the things I like about this particular route is that it goes through one of the more heavy rail traffic areas. I get to see lots of different trains from many of the different train companies.

It also goes through Gary....

Some of the train yards along the way have train cars as far as the eye can see.

A couple Canadian National Engines.

A Norfolk Southern Engine. I believe they operate the rails of this line. The are the current iteration of various railroads from the south.

Another shot of rail cars and a steel mill.

A Union Pacific train. I believe Union Pacific may be the only train company that has kept its original name.

No comments: