Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bell 206 Jet Ranger

So today as I was walking out of the office, I heard the sound of a helicopter, so of course I looked up and I saw this helicopter circling around the area. I think it was circling around I-75 and Maple Road because he took about 4 or 5 circles around as I was watching.

The Bell 206 Jet Ranger is a twin bladed, single or dual engined helicopter. It is currently manufactured in Mirabel, Quebec.

The Bell Jet Ranger started life as the YOH-4 for the United States Army's Light Observation helicopter program. It failed to be selected, so bell modified the airframe and marketed the aircraft as the Bell 206 Jet Ranger. This new design was eventually selected by the Army as the OH-58 Kiowa.

The first Bell 206 flew in 1962 and continues to fly to this day. One 206 flown by Mr. Ross Perot flew around the world to become the first helicopter to do so.

Versions of these still fly with the Army and Navy and also in the militaries of many countries around the world. I'm going to guess the protrusion off the noise is a camera or some sort.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just happened to have your camera as you were walking out of the office. You are hard-core. Ha! What are you shooting with?

Mikoyan said...

I've pretty much taken to carrying my camera everywhere I go. I don't know how many times I've seen something and said to myself, "Damn, wish I brought my camera with me". Anyways, the camera is a Canon 50D. I love it.