Saturday, July 25, 2020

And Ending With the Great Republic

I wasn't sure if I was going to catch the next ship because it started to rain but I decided to stick it out as the rain stopped.
 The Great Republic is one of the newer ships that was designed with the Cuyahoga River in mind.
 She has bow and stern thrusters that give her an amazing amount of maneuverability.  This is very helpful when navigating the Cuyahoga River.
 Ships like this where built when it was determined that the thousand footers couldn't handle Rivers like the Cuyahoga.
 In her life as an American Steamship ship, she spent a great deal of time in Cleveland.
 Now that she is run by Great Lakes Fleet, I don't think she spends as much time there.
 In fact, I think she was heading to Detroit as I was taking this picture.
 A beam shot.
 She has windows in the back of her pilothouse so that she could back into the Cuyahoga as easily as she can go forward.
 I kind of like her design.
And she starts to fade into the mist.

No comments: