Tuesday, July 28, 2020

The Ferry City of Milwaukee and US Coast Guard Cutter Acacia

After Grand Haven, I decided to head up to Frankfort, I was hoping to catch the comet there.  I ended up going through Manistee.  As I was going through, I remembered there was something I could get a picture of.
The ship in the front is the US Coast Guard Cutter Acacia.  She was built in 1944 by the Zenith Dredge Company in Duluth, Minnesota.  She served for 62 years on the Great Lakes as an ice breaker, fire fighting vessel, search and rescue vessel and buoy tender.   She was decommissioned in 2006 and currently is a museum ship in Manistee.

The City of Milwaukee was built by the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company in 1930 for the Grand Truck Car Ferry Company.  She was used to transport rail cars between Milwaukee and Muskegon.  In 1978, she was bought by the Ann Arbor Railroad and was used between Elberta and Manitowoc.  She was retired in 1981 and now serves as a museum ship.  She is the last pre-1940s ship of this type to survive.

No comments: