Monday, July 20, 2020

And the Pilot Boat

These are some pictures as the pilot boat goes to deliver a pilot to the BBC Florida.
 I'm not sure of all of the pilot transfer points on the Great Lakes but I'm aware of quite a few of them.  This is one of them and it is run by the J.W. Westcott Company.  Occasionally I have seen the Westcott used to deliver a pilot but that is rare.  The pilot boat is better equipped for delivering a pilot.
 Another pilot change point is just north of the Blue Water Bridge.  I think that pilot will go from there until Detroit.  Or the pilot that is picked up here will go to Port Huron.  I think they will catch a ship back from Port Huron.
 The pilot boat pulls up alongside the ship.
 The pilot climbs up the ladder.  This isn't as dangerous as it looks.  The pilot boat is moving as fast as the ship, so it is almost like it is standing still.
 The pilot being relieved has to wait for the replacement pilot to get up on the bridge.  And then the pilot being replaced will head to the pilot boat.
 the replaced pilot climbing down the ladder.
 The pilot boat pulls away from the ship and heads back to the dock.
 As far as other pilot points go.  I think there is one at Detour Village.  There is also one on the north side of the Soo Locks.  There is pilot transfer point in Duluth.  I think there might be other transfer points at some of the destination docks.
 For the most part, that makes being a pilot like a regular job.  They aren't out at sea for any great length of time.
 I also think that different parts of the Lakes have different certifications.
 for the most part, the pilot is there is make sure the regulations of the Lakes are followed by foreign crews.
I think US captains are also pilot qualified.

No comments: