Monday, July 20, 2020

Catching What I Though Was a New Ship

It's tough to remember if I've seen certain salties before.  There are some that are frequent visitors to the lakes and there are some that don't visit the lakes as frequently.  I think the BBC Florida is one of those.
 It turns out that I saw her once before.  That was while she was at anchor waiting out some winds.  So it's no wonder that I don't remember seeing her.
 The BBC Florida is owned by W. Bockstiegel Reederei KG out of Emden, Germany.  However she is not German flagged like so many of the foreign owned vessels.
 She stands off against the Renaissance Center.
 I tried a couple pictures as she got closer.  I kind of wanted a larger shot of her against the building.
 She starts to make the turn for the other part of the Detroit River.
 She was built in 2009.  She is 454 feet long and can carry 12,767 tons of cargo.
 I think many of these ships are typically used to bring windmill parts to the United States.
 Usually they will pick up a load of something to take back to Europe.
 Occasionally, they will stop at the Nicholson Dock by the Westcott to pick up steel coils there.
 She is getting met by the pilot boat (more on that in the next post).
 the pilot boat hangs out along her side waiting for the pilot.
 She approaches the Ambassador Bridge.
 She passes under the Ambassador Bridge.  If you look at the bridge, the covid virus doesn't seem to have an impact on trade into Canada.
 Another shot as the Ambassador Bridge is more behind her.  I think she's actually past the bridge at this point but the angles and stuff make it look like she isn't.
 A shot of her stack and bridge.
 A shot of her stern as she passes by.
 She passes the CSL St Laurent.
And almost stern shot as she continues on.  Sadly,  I don't remember where she was heading.

No comments: