Monday, July 20, 2020

Catching the Westcott

This is one of the more unique aspects of boatwatching in Detroit.
 I'm sure there are other places where you can catch a mailboat but I think Detroit is the only place where the mail boat has its own zip code, 48222.
 Using that Zip Code and the name of a ship, you can send mail to any ship on the Great Lakes.  I think you can also use it to send packages via FedEx or UPS.
 Occasionally, the Westcott will deliver pizzas, newspapers and snacks.
 I've seen it used on occasion to send some provisions to ships but I think that typically happens when the ship is docked.  The Westcott isn't equipped with a crane like the Ojibway in Sault Ste Marie.
 I kind of like this picture.
 After she left the State of Michigan.
 she presents a nice profile.
 And chops through the water pretty well.
 Another picture of her.
 She heads out the subject of a later post.
 that subject is the Kaye E. Barker.
 And she returns from there.
A closeup of the captain and one of his deckhands.

No comments: