Monday, July 6, 2020

The Carmina Burana...err, Fortunagracht

The next ship wasn't too far behind the Cort, so I decided to stick around for her.  I almost wasn't going to stick around because there were a bunch of people there and almost none of them were wearing a mask.  Fortunately, it is still pretty easy to keep distance.
 Anyway, the next ship is one of many salties that ply the Great Lakes. 
 I think this one may have been carrying windmill blades at one point.  It kind of looks like one of those ships.
 She belongs to a company call Spliethoff which operates out of the Netherlands.  This particular ship calls Amsterdam as her home.  Usually it seems like the Dutch ships come from Delfzul.
 She was built in 2012.  She is 447 feet long and 62 feet wide.
 She can carry 12,178 tons of cargo.  She is registered in the Netherlands.
 Their bows are designed for Class 1 ice which I have no idea what that means but it sounds good.
 The cranes can all handled 80 metric tons of cargo.
 Like I said above, the bows are designed to break ice if necessary.  They have a bulbous bow which helps with fuel efficiency.
 The draft marks are in meters.
 She is registered by Lloyds Registry.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 Another shot.
I think she was heading up to Duluth.  I'm not sure what cargo she was going to pick up there.  As I type this, she is on her way to Matane, Quebec which is near the mouth of the St. Lawrence River.  It is about three days travel from here.

No comments: