Monday, July 6, 2020

Catching an Old Friend

As I said in a previous post, my original plan was to catch the Blough was she was passing under the Mackinac Bridge.  I knew there would be no way I could get up early enough but I figured I could make it to the Bridge in time.  As I made a stop somewhere, I saw that I could catch the Cort at the Soo.  Since the Soo only goes between Gary and Superior or Duluth, I had to go see her instead.
 The Stewart Cort has the distinction of being the first 1000 footer on the Great Lakes.  She was not entirely built on the Lakes though.
 They sometimes call her Stubby because a shortened version of her was sent through the Welland Canal.  It was cut and extended at one of the shipyards on the Great Lakes.
 You can see the #1 on her deckhouse.  That is showing her status as the first 1000 footer.
 It's funny because the first 1000 footer could have been the Blough.  The executives at US Steel didn't think a 1000 footer could make the turn at Johnson's cut, so they shortened her.
 I wondered if they realized that bow thrusters and what not would help her make that turn.  As it was, the Blough still wouldn't be first because she had a fire during construction and that delayed her entering service.
 At any rate, it is nice that the first thousand footer has the configuration of a classic laker.  Including the look of a straight decker (versus having the unloading boom).
 She has a shuttle system that is similar to the Blough but unfortunately for her, that limits the number of ports she can visit.
 In fact, I think I heard that the Cort might be headed to layup soon.  I'm not sure how many ships are laid up but that is quite a few.  Given the nature of the products these ships support, that can't bode well for the economy.
 Anyway, it was nice to see her.
 Her pilothouse.
 Her deckhouse.
 The rear of her pilothouse.
 Her unloading system.
And one more shot as she continues on to the Locks.

No comments: