Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Algoma Sault Passes by Port Huron

While this isn't the ship that I was waiting for, it was nice to see her.
 the Algoma Sault was making her way down.
 I think she was heading down from Goderich with a load of salt but I honestly don't remember.
 I do remember catching her as a newer boat and I'll have to admit, she's held up well in two years.
 Canadian ships usually look pretty rough shortly after repaints (or whatever).
 Canadian ships usually travel through the Welland Canal quite a bit and that increases the chances of getting wharf rash.
 They also find themselves in the more brackish parts of the St. Lawrence Seaway.  Salt water and ships are not a good mix as it tends to reduce their lives.
 But I don't think the Algoma Sault finds herself up that way too much but I do think she carries salt quite a bit.  That doesn't help extend her life either.
 But she might have the specially designed holds for carrying salt which helps.
 She is framed by the Blue Water Bridges.  The clouds were just about right.
 Another shot with the bridge.  this is one of the reasons why I like shooting up here.
 Since the water was a little rougher, it was a darker shade of blue than it normally is.
 It's usually this shade of blue as I take a picture of the ship's plimsoll lines.   The diamond symbol shows her registry.  The symbol next to that shows how far she can be loaded safely.
 A shot of her pilothouse.
 Another shot as she passes by.
 She continues down the river.
 It's always amazing to watch the ships as they make the turns to enter the river.  I have to believe it's not easy and sometimes we get reminders of that as a couple ships have made some errors in the past week.
One more shot as she moves on her way.

No comments: