Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Algobay

So as I said in my last post, I stopped by Detroit on the way home from Troy.  I wasn't sure if I would be able to see this ship or not.  I thought I would stop at Belle Isle first and saw her passing the end of the island, so I headed over to Riverside Park.
As I was pulling into the park, I saw her just passing the Ambassador Bridge, so I had to hoof it to the side in order to catch the picture.  I would have preferred the side shot but I'm glad that I got a shot of her at all.
So making her debut is the Algobay.  Given the name, she is obviously owned by the Algoma Central Compay.  She was built in 1978 by the Collingwood Shipyards in Collingwood Ontario.  This was because Algoma Central realized they needed another self unloader to handle a large coal contract they just got.
She was originally 730 feet long and was powered by two diesel engines rated at 5,350 horsepower each.  She could carry a little under 34,000 tons of cargo.
In 1980, she was in a head on collision with the Montrealais during a heavy fog and that caused extensive damage to both ships.  It took roughly three months to repair and after that she loaded the 400 billionth ton of iron ore at Sept Isles Quebec.  She was the opening vessel for the Welland Canal the following season.
In 1994, she was chartered by the Canada Steamship Lines and renamed Atlantic Trader for that period.  Three years later she was returned to the Algoma Fleet and given her old name back.
In 2002, she entered long term layup.  In 2007, she was upgraded in China.  At that time, she was lengthened to 740 feet and could carry 37,000 tons of cargo.  Her engines were changed giving her a little over 10,000 horsepower.  She returned to service in 2010.

No comments: