Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Twelve Months of the Barton Dam

It is hard to believe that another year has passed by.  As I said yesterday, I finished my series on the Barton Dam.  I also said that I would post 12 months worth of the pictures.  I was going to try to get a picture of the same spot but that didn't quite show the seasons as well as I hoped, so I picked pictures demonstrative of the particular season.
 January this year was pretty cold and snowy and this picture shows that off pretty well.  Especially since it was snowing as I took the picture.
 For February, I used a shot of the dam itself.  As you can see the water flowing down the dam is still frozen and if you go back to the month where I took the pictures, you can see some pretty cool patterns in the ice.
 March brought us the thaw.  This is looking upriver again and the water is flowing pretty nicely.  I thought I would see more wildlife but that wasn't the case.
 April brought us hints of spring.  The water flowing nicely, the trees starting to bud out.
 May brought us hints of green.
 The trees were in full bloom by June.
 A nice sunny day in July.
 Still pretty green in August.  The summer was pretty nice this year.
 I took this fairly early in September, so no hints of color yet.
 I think one of the things I like about Michigan is the fall colors.  Unfortunately, I took this fairly late in October so it was past peak but still beautiful.
 The leaves gone and the cold approaching in November.
And it was actually a nice sunny day when I took this one.  If I had waited until today, I might have had some snow on the trees.

One of the things I like about doing these series are the effects the seasons have on things.  I really like it when I put them together and can see how the changes come over the year.

No comments: