Tuesday, September 1, 2020

And the Algoma Strongfield

 The next ship wasn't too far behind the Great Republic and I had some time before the ship that I really wanted to catch.

The Algoma Strongfield was coming down from Thunder Bay.  Giving her configuration, I would guess that she was loaded with wheat.
She was originally bought by the Canadian Wheat Board and named CWB Strongfield, but they went bankrupt before construction of the ship was completed.
I think Algoma was going to run her anyway, so they bought her and renamed her Algoma Strongfield.
As best I can tell, she is named after Strongfield, Saskatchewan which nicknamed Little Village on the Prairie.
As such, the name has ties to the wheat fields of Canada.
Now it's population is 40.
She was headed to Port Cartier, Quebec.  I think that is a transfer point for ships that will carry the wheat overseas.
Without the self unloading equipment, she is pretty nice looking.
I took the drone up again.  This time it wasn't as windy, so I was able to get a little higher.
I got it up early enough that I could get the shots I preferred.
She passes by.
For as much as I've seen ships, they take on a different look from the air.

 And it is pretty cool.

And she passes by.

Looking a little further down river.
and you can see the Marine City lighthouse.
 

No comments: