Monday, September 28, 2020

Next Up, the Edwin H. Gott

 When I saw this ship on Marine Traffic, I wasn't sure if I was going to catch her or not.  It seems like when I catch upbound ships lately, they stop for fuel.  I'm not sure if they do that so they can carry more cargo, in away that would make sense but then there are many more variables on the Lakes than in the air.

The Gott coming up to the end of Belle Isle.  I seriously think this the only time I've gotten a picture of the Gott where she looks small.
She comes up a little closer.  I think she was heading up from Conneaut, Ohio.
Normally I would start with pictures with my camera and then switch to the drone but I had to reverse that this time.  There were a few people at the pavillion next to me and they were kind of in the way, so I had to wait for my normal picture of the ship.
I switched back to the drone.  I kind of like the pictures from up here.
I didn't realize that the hatches didn't go across the length of the hull.
I also thought the hatches were closer together.  There must be a reason for this.
From this vantage point, these ships look massive.
the beam shot.
She continues up the river.
I think she was heading up to Two Harbors which is about 48 hours from this point.
One in Two Harbors, she will pick up another load of taconite.
I presume she will head back to Conneaut again.
 

No comments: