Monday, September 28, 2020

Catching Up With the Arthur M. Anderson

 So this was the ship that got me down to Belle Isle.  With the Blough being in layup, I need a new ship that I will go out for regardless and it seems like the Anderson is filling that role.

The Anderson was coming down from Duluth.  I caught her on AIS in the locks and that gave me a vague idea of when she would be passing Detroit.  It is roughly 24 hours from Sault Ste Marie to Detroit.
Since she was coming down from Duluth, it is a very likely that she had a load of taconite.
Since she was heading to Conneaut, Ohio, it was definite that she was carrying taconite.
Conneaut is kind of unique on the Great Lakes.   Normally the steel mill is nearby the docking facilities.
In this case, the steel mill is in Pittsburgh.  The taconite is taken from Conneaut to Pittsburgh by train.
I can't imagine the size of the train that feeds the demand for a steel mill though.
And as you know, the Anderson is famous because she was the last ship to be in contact with the Edmund Fitzgerald.
And then I took the air.  it seemed like the wind was picking up and it was difficult getting out to the Anderson with my drone.  Despite that I'm pretty happy with this shot.
I think I am even happier with the shot.  I just wish I could have gotten higher.  Every time I tried, I would get high wind warnings.
I would have liked this shot more but I was shooting into the sun.  That is one of the problems with a day like this day.
Every time I got close to the Anderson, my screen would go wonky.  I think the amount of iron might have been interfering with the radio signals but I'm not sure.
She continues on her way to Conneaut.
the water was a nice shade of blue and it was nice weather.

I kind of like the skyline in the background.
 

No comments: