Friday, September 18, 2020

Saying Hello Again to the Walter J. McCarthy

 It has been over a year since I've seen this ship last.  I think she was another one that left layup late.  COVID has had a severe impact on things.

At any rate, the Walter J. McCarthy was coming down from Superior, Wisconsin.
I know this because she was heading to St Clair.
Because she was heading to St Clair, that meant she was heading to the power plant with a load of coal.
From what I understand, the coal that is picked up Wisconsin has a lower sulfur content and is more desirable to use in an electric plant.
Sulfur content has to be lower to reduce the amount of acid rain that is produced.
From what I understand, much of the acid rain that falls on the east coast is because of coal power plants in the Midwest.
Because of that and the coast of coal, those electric plants are being decommissioned.
Anyway, the 1000 footer makes for a nice view.
One more shot with my normal camera.
So then I switched to my drone.
While these ships look like monsters from the ground.
The look like behemoths from the air.
When you consider that it is 24 feet from the centers of each hatch, that's quite a few feet of ship. 
One more shot with my regular camera.
 

No comments: