Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Kaye E. Barker at the Soo

Another ship I was happy to see was the Kaye E. Barker.  She was pulling into the locks as the Lee A. Tregurtha was starting to leave.  So these posts are a little out of order.
 It has been a while since I have seen the Kaye E. Barker but it is always nice to see her.  I'm not sure if you can tell but she is sporting a new coat of paint.
 Over the winter, they decided to replace her steam engines with a diesel engine.  I'm guessing this will make her run more efficiently.
 She had just finished her shakedown cruise and was heading down to Detroit to deliver her first cargo as a diesel ship.
 I know that some people are not happy about the loss of a steamship but at least she didn't become a tug/barge combination.
 But that would have sucked.
 It was starting to get dark.
 A shot of her bow.
 And deckhouse.
 A shot as she heads down the St. Mary's River from Mission Point.
One last shot of her before she moves on.

As I said, she was heading to Detroit to deliver her first cargo.  I kind of wish I would have gotten back in time to catch her there.  Oh well.

No comments: