Sunday, March 11, 2012

In Anticipation of Shipping Season

As I was taking my pictures of the Livingstone Lighthouse, I looked out towards Lake St. Clair and I noticed a boat out there.  Based on the stripe down the hull, I figured it was a Coast Guard ship.
 When I got home, I had to check the boatnerd site that shows where all the ships are and it turns out it is the Canadian Coast Guard Cutter Samul Risley.  She was named after a maritime inspector from the 1800's and is a combination ice breaker and buoy tender.  I suspect she is doing maintenance on the buoys in anticipation of the opening of shipping season.
I apologize for the quality of the pictures but she was far enough out that these pictures wouldn't be terribly clear.  I did want to post a picture of her though because this yet another harbinger of spring.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ken-- happy to see you're using the boatnerd site for vessel IDs! cheers

Isaac said...

More Risley:

http://tugboathunter.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/samuel-risley-hater/