Monday, March 26, 2012

Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan

For all the times I have been to Sault Ste Marie, I don't think I've taken too many pictures of the town itself.  Nor do  I think I've gone over the history of it.  So I figured I would take care of both things.
 I'm not sure what river this bridge goes over but I do like the looks of this bridge.
 Sault Ste Marie is an old town.  It has been inhabited by Native Americans for close to 500 years.  European settlers have lived here since 1668 when Father Marquette established a Missionary here.  This makes it the third oldest city west of the Appalachians and the oldest in Michigan.
 In the 18th Centurty it became an important hub for fur traders.  After the War of 1812, the U.S. established Fort Brady here.
 It is also the home of the Soo Locks (which I will go over in the next post).
Some tourist traps near the Locks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

May I use one of these as my Facebook banner photo? It would mean the world to me. I'll be checking back for a response, I can't find a contact page for you. Thank you so much!


- K.

Mikoyan said...

Yes. Go ahead.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! See...SSM is my 'home' - my soul lives there. And my son is ASD and the bridge photo is perfect since I can't find another spring SSM photo.

-K.