Ypsilanti was first settled in 1823 by Major Tom Woodruff and was incorporated in the Territory of MIchigan as Woodruff's Grove. Another town was established on the western side of the Huron River in 1825 and was known as Ypsilanti after the Greek Hero, Demetrius Ypsilanti. In 1829, the two towns merged under the named Ypsilanti.
The title of the post may be a little misleading. Ypsilanti does not have three city halls but it has had three buildings which served as City Halls throughout its history.
Currently the building has various offices.