Monday, April 9, 2012

Pics from On the Way

My mom took these pictures since I was driving.  I like the looks of Pennsylvania so I had her take a couple shots.
 We took the Pennsylvania Turnpike from the Pennsylvania-Ohio Border to the Harrisburg Exit.  I think I've posted the history of the turnpike fbefore, so I'm not going to go into too much detail about it.  However, it was started in 1940 (although technically before then).
 This particular tunnel is going through the Allegheny Mountains and was originally supposed to be used by trains.  The railroad that was going to use it failed, so they turned it into a turnpike.
 Here we are entering the tunnel.  I think because they were going to use it for a railroad, the grading is alot nicer than some of the other east-west highways.
Inside the tunnel.

1 comment:

winterh said...

Freud would be smiling at this.