Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Lee Tregurtha on the Detroit River

It's been a while since I've been boatwatching on the Detroit River, so I've been itching to go down there.  Just before I left work, I checked the AIS site and saw that the Lee Tregurtha would be hitting Belle Isle around the time I would be down there.  I might possibly also see the Mesabi Miner.  As it turned out, I missed the Mesabi Miner by probably about 15-20 minutes.  However, Lee Tregurtha was rounding the tip of Belle Isle.  So I was a happy camper.
I'm not going to go into much detail about Lee Tregurtha as she has appeared on this blog several times in the past.  In fact, I even got to see her at the Soo Locks on Opening Day.  Given her history and unique look, I'd have to say that she is definately one of my favorites.
So my requisite almost straight on shot of her.  I was hoping that I could capture some of that golden light but it seemed to be proving elusive in this picture.
And when I said, I wouldn't provide many details...I kind of lied.  Here's an almost close up of her bow.
I kind of liked how the pile of logs set off against her in the background.
This time a detail of her anchor.
A little pulled back.
A View of the Pilothouse.
As she heads down the Detroit River.  For some reason, I think the Detroit River has a pretty unique blue to it.
Another pulling away shot.
For the first time, I decided to shoot from the fishing pier.  I'm not sure I like it as much as other parts of the island, but it provides a different view.
A little bit of the golden light.
This time catching some highlights.
I kind of like the oranges in the sky.
As I was watching her go down the river, I thought I might have a chance for an almost framed shot.  I kind of like it.
As she was waiting to dock in Dearborn.

No comments: