Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Former Ann Arbor News Building

My travels tonight took me about a block down from the Hands On Museum because this building caught my eye.
Now the University of Michigan Credit Union but this used to be the Ann Arbor News Building.  As I looked at the building, I was thinking that it was possibly designed by Albert Kahn.  So of course I had to look it up when I got home and sure enough it was and it was constructed in 1936.
Some of the art on the side of the building.  This was the clue for me that it could possibly be a Kahn building.  It reminded me of the Detroit News building for some reason.
Before the Ann Arbor News, it was the site of the Anti-Slavery Society in 1836.  Which led to the creation of Michigan's first Anti-slavery newspaper.
Another sculpture on the side of the building.

No comments: