Thursday, April 7, 2011

Another Night at Gallup

So I decided to stop at Gallup Park after work as it was fairly nice tonight (in the 50's instead of the 30's). I ended up walking around the small pond, I was mostly trying to get some pictures of ducks but they weren't being very cooperative tonight. I did a get a few though.

I think I see the duck at the park all of the time. I like its markings though, so I will always take a picture of it when I see it.

I just love the colors of this particular duck. The black, green and dark blues.

A closeup of one of the other ducks. This is another one that I like for its markings.

A closeup of a goose head. I think they are getting closer to mating because they seemed a little more ornery.

I thought it was pretty cool that a couple crew teams were practicing tonight. They weren't doing too much rowing though.

I think I've taken a similar picture before and somehow it makes me think that the goose is contemplating his life or something.

The other crew practicing. This one was the girls team.

A robin.

I'm not exactly sure what kind of bird this is, but I liked the way it was singing.
This goose took a very quick nap after coming out of the water.

And then he was back off again.

A closeup of his head.

I can't wait until we start having a proper spring because I'll be able to get flower pictures instead.

5 comments:

Steve said...

I believe that the bird whose singing you liked but couldn't ID is a red-winged blackbird

Ben Connor Barrie said...

Steve is correct. They nest in wetlands and have a great, trill song. They can be quite aggressive when protecting their nest and have been known to attack humans, cats and dogs.

A2saint said...

I have always loved red winged blackbirds. They were all over the place out in Pittsfield Township where grew up. I was so happy when they came to populate a pond behind my property in upstate New York.

Ben Connor Barrie said...

@Mikoyan if you are thinking about getting into bird identification, I would suggest "The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America." It's pretty extensive, very portable and has hundreds of clear illustrations.

Mikoyan said...

What about Olsen's Standard Book of British Birds? :)