Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Forest Hill Cemetary

It was a pretty nice night tonight, so I decided to do something a little different for my photographic expedition. Tonight I decided to seek out the graves of Bo Schembechler, Fielding Yost and Bob Ufer since they are all buried at the same cemetary. Funny thing is that I've been by this cemetary many times and have been meaning to photograph because it looks like a nice cemetary.

Near the entry way is this gate. It was built by James Morwick. At the top, you can see a stone which indicates it was built in 1874. The cemetary itself was founded in 1857 by a group of Michigan professors and Ann Arbor businessmen.

Unfortunately, this picture doesn't quite do it justice and I'll have to go back to take a better picture but it is nice building and was designed by a guy who did a bunch of gothic revival churches in the United States.

Looking up at the structure on top of the arch. I think this picture does it a little more justice, especially contrasted against the blue sky.

One of the entryways on the side.

As I was wandering the cemetary, I came across this statue. I thought it looked cool.

From a different angle.

This statue is near the front and I liked the look of it against the sky.

I decided to get a closeup of the face.

And a shot from the side.

Near the front entrance is this statue which is dedicated to the soldiers and sailors of Washtenaw County who fought in the Civil War. In front of this is a plain looking stone dedicated to all veterans.

A better shot of the statue at the top. All in all, I thought it was a pretty nice cemetary. It kind of looked in the tradition of some of the rural cemetaries I've seen but that was intentional.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had no idea Bo, Yost, and Ufer were buried there. I walked right by it on my last visit to A2, would have visited if I had known. Next time.

Roz said...

My late husband and I spent our first date walking through that cemetery. He died in 2003 and is buried there. I didn't know about Bo, Yost and Ufer, though, and I'll be sure to check it out soon.

Mikoyan said...

It is stories like this that make me appreciate doing my blog. That sounds pretty touching.